The driving force at the helm of Natec Group, CEO Vincent Lagarde brings vision, passion, leadership and the beliefs that guide him in the business of saving lives.
Vincent has overcome failures, obstacles and taken risks to get to where he is today. Fuelled by his desire to make a difference in people’s lives, we embark on finding out how one man’s vision and perseverance has led to the creation of a company innovating the MedTech industry as a key player in the Sub-Saharan African region.
A bit of background
- Vincent holds a double Master of Science in polymers and mechanics (ENSAIS & EAHP, France). He serves on the Board of Directors of other companies in fields as varied as real estate, tourism and renewable energy.
- Previously R&D Engineer with Nycomed, he developed proprietary technologies specialising in Balloon Angioplasty and Stenting.
- Vincent is also the founder of a private pre-primary school in Mauritius named, Paul and Virginie, with a French curriculum.
- Vincent is also a member of the Club APM Association for the Progress of Management) and of the CCIFM.
- He has dual nationality, French and Mauritian and was awarded the “National Order of Merit” by the French Republic in 2009. He is also the 2015 winner of the AfrAsia Tecoma Award, which he was recognised as the “Entrepreneur of the Year” in Mauritius.
- He recently created his own Foundation, Dunes de Mer in 2018, which commits to the wellbeing of semi-nomadic people on the south-west coast of Madagascar, by setting up dispensaries and the creation of schools to help tackle the issue of illiteracy. Free care will be provided to the inhabitants of the villages of the region between Tsifoty and Baie des Assassins. Many skilled doctors from overseas will collaborate to this benevolent cause.
Vincent’s Journey: Bringing Ambition, Passion & Long-Term Vision
TThe road to success often begins with failed attempts and difficulties. In Vincent’s case, this was no exception. Rewind back to 1998, while Vincent was settled in Paris, he found himself in the predicament of not having the adequate funding to kick-start his professional endeavours. This would turn out to be a pivotal moment in his journey.
The ambitious young engineer would boldly move to the United-States in Boston with his wife and child. A gamble that would end up in Vincent’s favour. At the time he began working on a regular table to create the technology still used nowadays to manufacture catheters for interventional cardiology. As a visionary and 360° minded entrepreneur fuelled by passion, Vincent would set things in motion by eventually launching his own business in Boston, Natec LLC. This pivotal moment would see him venture into the business of making a huge impact on people’s lives.
From Boston to the Island of Mauritius
In 2000, once his company was thoroughly established, Vincent would look for another location with a business-friendly environment for start-ups, coupled with modern infrastructure and access to knowledgeable and skilled based workforce at lower cost. He took the decision to relocate his set up to Mauritius. Strategically positioned, Mauritius is one of the most transparent and financially sound economies in Africa. Essentially, NATEC Medical Ltd was born and the rest is history.
Mission to Save Lives Daily
Vincent has always been an avid believer in the need for medical technology and having tiny increments of improvement to help facilitate the needs of physicians, surgeons and essentially patients needing treatment through minimalizing invasive procedures.
20 years later, through perseverance and rigour, NATEC Medical Ltd has successfully transitioned from a start-up with 9 employees to an innovative and dynamic enterprise with more than 320 collaborators and importantly established as a key player in Percutaneous Interventional Medical Devices for the global market.
Vincent’s Personal Philosophy
Vincent also lives by an uplifting motto «Fais de ta vie un rêve et d’un rêve une réalité.» which literally translates to “Make of your life a dream, and a dream a reality”
To ensure he remains driven and motivated, Vincent believes in the law of attraction, where he chooses to manifest positive values towards his personal and professional endeavours.
In his spare time, he also devotes his attention to the adventurous side of life, extremely fond of the ocean, he takes part in stand-up paddle, scuba diving and various outdoor activities. He also is dedicating a lot more of his time to the Dunes de Mer foundation focusing on a myriad of worthy causes.
Vincent’s Business Philosophy
Vincent is a firm believer that his team plays a crucial role in the success of NATEC Medical Ltd. He is actually working towards shifting Natec Medical into a ‘Freedom Form’ company – a managerial approach whereby each staff is empowered and motivated to be independent, proactive, involved in decision making and accountable. Much emphasis is being put on skills training of each employee for effective deployment of this concept. It is however imperative that his collaborators share and encapsulate his vision.